Are you tired of worrying about the safety of your valuable electronics during outdoor activities? The unpredictable weather poses a significant challenge, exposing your devices to potential damage and power surges. But fret not, as we have the solution!
In this fast-paced world, it’s crucial to safeguard your electronics from the elements. By choosing the best outdoor surge protectors, you can shield your devices against rain, dust, and power fluctuations. We’ll guide you through the selection process, ensuring your gadgets stay safe and functional.
Even some of your own gadgets might create surges.
Smaller, less obvious power spikes can degrade the lifespan of your electronics even without a storm.
REASONS WHY SURGE PROTECTOR IS A MUST FOR OUTDOOR DEVICES
Using an outdoor surge protector is important for several reasons:
Protection against power surges:
Outdoor environments are more prone to electrical surges caused by lightning strikes, power fluctuations, or faulty wiring. A surge protector helps divert excess voltage away from connected devices, safeguarding them against damage.
Electrical surges can significantly shorten the lifespan of electronic equipment such as outdoor lighting systems, irrigation controllers, security cameras, or other outdoor appliances. By using a surge protector, you provide an additional layer of defense, reducing the risk of premature failure and saving on replacement costs.
Power surges not only damage equipment but can also pose safety hazards, such as fire or electric shock. A surge protector helps mitigate these risks by suppressing the surge and preventing it from reaching the devices, thus enhancing overall safety.
Outdoor surge protectors are designed to withstand harsh weather conditions, moisture, and temperature fluctuations. They often come with weatherproof enclosures, corrosion-resistant materials, and specialized grounding features, making them suitable for outdoor installation.
In addition to surge suppression, some outdoor surge protectors offer other features like noise filtering, voltage regulation, and data line protection. These features further enhance the reliability and performance of your outdoor equipment.
Remember that not all surge protectors are suitable for outdoor use. It is crucial to choose surge protectors explicitly designed for outdoor applications, which typically have an Ingress Protection (IP) rating to indicate their weather resistance. Additionally, it is essential to follow proper installation guidelines and regularly inspect and maintain your outdoor surge protectors to ensure they remain effective over time.
Some Extra Features of Surge Protectors
USB ports are easy to handle and use
Nowadays, a number of power strips come with USB ports in addition to the standard three-prong grounded outlets. A good space saver is to simply plug your phone’s charging wire into one of the USB ports rather than into an outlet adaptor.
It’s critical for large plugs to be flexible
Modern oversized plugs can block the adjacent outlets on a conventional power strip, preventing you from using it to its maximum potential. In order to address this, new strips either space outlets widely apart or enable them to pivot up to 90 degrees.
New models have raised floor seating
Manufacturers are aware that we frequently use cables of varied lengths that may not extend all the way to the floor to plug in numerous gadgets on tables and nightstands.
“Simple access is essential”
As a result, they created disc-shaped and tower-style strips that may be placed on a table without being unsightly. Some even have a wireless smartphone charging pad incorporated right into the device.
Little ones are ideal for traveling
There might not be enough outlets in hotels. For additional power, place a compact, lightweight power strip with three outlets in your suitcase.
A pricey purchase can protect expensive gadgets
Sometimes you want more security, whether it’s for a pricey computer or a home entertainment system. Some power strips have premium surge protection, additional protections, and warranties against equipment damage.
Don’t cut corners, advises Richard.
“Furthermore, take into account a feature that alerts you when the surge protection stops working. When that occurs, the really great ones will just shut down, letting you know it’s time for a new one.
Let us review some good outdoor surge protectors.
Read Also: Best Travel Surge Protector
Top Best Picks for Outdoor Surge Protectors
1. Amazon Basics 6-Outlet Surge Protector Power Strip, 6-Foot Long Cord, 790 Joule – Black
1. It’s a socket embedded multi-plug surge protector.
2. Damage from harmful voltage fluctuations can be protected by this device.
3. It has a reset/Off switch on it’s upper body, which makes the device easy to use.
4. This device helps to fulfill daily charging needs for different devices.
5. This extension is far better in a sense because it is made up of fireproof material for example TV, computer, laptop, etc.
6. Also, it provides safety cover over it so that if ever any child holds that it wouldn’t be dangerous.
2. BESTECH Tower Power Extension Lead 9 Outlets 2M Cord with Fast PD USB-C Slot (18W) & 4 USB Slots Surge Protection Multi-Plug Vertical Power Socket
1. It’s a 9 outlet device, with 600 Joule surge protector power strips.
2. It protects electronic devices from spikes or damage due to outages.
3. Also heavy equipment works friendly with this.
It has a red light as a power indicator.
4. Outlets are widely spaced.
3. Power Extension Lead Built-in USB Port On/Off Switch, Klearlook Power Strip 3 USB Ports 8 Way Socket 2 Meter Extension Lead
1. It’s a vertical tower-shaped surge protector.
2. It’s also a 9 AC outlet device.
3. With 2500 watts of surge protection, works with a 10A current.
4. It works quite friendly for classic places.
5. There are a total of 4 USB portals.
6. plug type for this surge protector is Type G.
The product in image is currently unavailable so recommending best alternative for you
4. 6-outlet Surge Protection Strip with 2M Power Cord
1. It can control spikes of up to 650 joules.
2.It has 6 AC outlets that are protected and provide shields to your expensive tools,making them useful without fear of any damage.
3.It is designed smartly to use,also has sliding safety cover on it making it safe when it’s in child’s hand.
5. Extension Power Cord Multi-Plug Vertical Tower With 8 UK Outlets Socket And 2M Cable Strip
1. It’s a small and compact type of surge protector that helps to save space.
2. It has 8 AC outlets with 4 USB charging portals.
3. On the top of this extension there are two separate switches making it easy to use.
4. It’s a high-quality extension with having fireproof plastic cover for its safety.
6. Belkin BSV603VF2M Surge Strip Protection Socket 6 Slots
1.It is a two meters cord extension strip.
2. It has 4 surge outlets that are protected.
3. It helps to protect from fire or any other damage impact.
4. Plug type of this extension is type G.
7. Power Strip Tower with USB Ports, AiJoy Surge Protector
- It’s a strip tower shaped outdoor surge protector.
- It has 8 AC outlets along with four USB ports.
- It is fast charging device with extension cord of 10Ft.
8. Belkin Surge Protector W/ 8 Rotating & 4 Standard Outlets
- It’s a Belkin company surge protector along with eight rotating outlets and four standard outlets.
- It has an 8ft extension cord with a pivot plug.
- It can be used in traveling, office, and at home.
9. Outdoor Power Strip Weatherproof with USB C, Waterproof Surge Protector
- It is an excellent type of outdoor protector with weatherproof ability, it’s a waterproof electronic device.
- It consists of 4 outlets with 3 USB. Its extension wire is 6ft long.
- It is more useful when working in the kitchen, washroom and in the garden when one’s needs to have an electronic connection.
10. New Belkin Pivot Plug Surge Protector, 8 Outlets, 6ft Cord, Each
- It’s a type of protector with 8 rotating AC outlets.
- It has 6 long ft.
- It’s best when one is traveling in the office or at home.
Related: Best Travel Power Strip
Some FAQs about Best outdoor surge protector:
1. What is the best outdoor power surge protector?
The best outdoor power surge protector depends on your specific needs and requirements. However, some popular and highly recommended options include models from reputable brands like APC, Tripp Lite, and Belkin. It’s important to choose a surge protector that is specifically designed for outdoor use, with features such as weatherproof housing and robust surge protection capabilities.
2. Is there such a thing as an outdoor surge protector?
Yes, there are surge protectors specifically designed for outdoor use. These outdoor surge protectors are built to withstand exposure to the elements and provide surge protection for outdoor electrical systems. They are typically equipped with features like weatherproof enclosures and durable construction materials to ensure reliable performance in outdoor environments.
3. Are outdoor surge protectors safe?
Outdoor surge protectors, when properly installed and used according to the manufacturer’s instructions, are safe. They are designed to provide surge protection for outdoor electrical systems, helping to safeguard connected devices and equipment from voltage spikes and power surges. It is important to choose a high-quality surge protector from a reputable manufacturer and regularly inspect and maintain it to ensure its continued effectiveness.
4. What is better than a surge protector?
While surge protectors are effective in protecting against voltage spikes and power surges, there are alternative devices that offer additional benefits. One such device is an uninterruptible power supply (UPS), which not only provides surge protection but also offers battery backup to keep your devices powered during outages. UPS units are particularly useful for sensitive electronics or critical systems that require a continuous power supply.
5. How many Joules is best for a surge protector?
The recommended number of joules for a surge protector depends on the specific devices and equipment you are looking to protect. Generally, a higher joule rating indicates better surge protection. For basic home use, surge protectors with a rating of 1000 to 2000 joules are often sufficient. However, for more sensitive electronics or high-end equipment, opting for surge protectors with a higher joule rating, such as 3000 or more, can provide an extra layer of protection.
6. What is the difference between a power surge and a surge protector?
A power surge refers to a sudden increase in electrical voltage, which can occur due to various factors like lightning strikes, utility grid fluctuations, or internal issues within the electrical system. On the other hand, a surge protector is a device designed to detect and divert excess voltage from power surges, protecting connected devices by blocking or grounding the surge. In essence, a surge protector acts as a defense mechanism against power surges.
7. What are the disadvantages of surge protector?
While surge protectors offer valuable protection against power surges, they also have some disadvantages. Surge protectors have a limited lifespan and effectiveness, as they can wear out over time or become less effective after diverting multiple surges. Additionally, surge protectors may not be able to handle extremely large surges, such as those caused by direct lightning strikes. It is important to periodically replace surge protectors and consider additional protection measures for highly sensitive or valuable equipment.
8. What is the lifespan of a surge protector?
The lifespan of a surge protector can vary depending on factors such as its quality, usage, and the intensity of power surges it encounters. On average, surge protectors have a lifespan of 3 to 5 years. However, it is recommended to replace them sooner if they show signs of wear, such as loose outlets or damaged cables. Regularly inspecting and testing surge protectors is crucial to ensure their ongoing effectiveness.
9. How do I choose a surge protector?
When choosing a surge protector, consider factors such as the joule rating, number of outlets, and compatibility with your devices. Look for surge protectors from reputable brands that offer warranties and certifications. Assess your specific needs, including the number and types of devices you need to protect, and choose a surge protector with enough outlets and appropriate features to accommodate them.
10. Does surge protector waste electricity?
Surge protectors do not waste electricity when they are functioning normally. They are designed to protect against power surges by diverting excess voltage, but they do not consume power during normal operation. However, some surge protectors may include features like power switches or indicator lights that consume minimal electricity. It is advisable to choose energy-efficient surge protectors and unplug devices when not in use to save energy.
11. Is metal surge protector better than plastic?
Whether a metal surge protector is better than a plastic one depends on various factors such as durability, build quality, and specific use cases. Metal surge protectors often offer better durability and protection against physical damage, but they may be more expensive. Plastic surge protectors, on the other hand, are lightweight, affordable, and suitable for most general applications. Ultimately, the effectiveness of a surge protector depends more on its internal components and surge protection capabilities rather than the material of its casing.
12. Does TV need surge protector?
While a surge protector is not mandatory for a TV, it is highly recommended to use one to protect your television and associated devices from power surges. TVs are susceptible to damage from voltage spikes, which can occur due to lightning strikes, utility grid fluctuations, or internal electrical issues. A surge protector with appropriate joule rating and surge protection features can help safeguard your TV and prevent potential damage.
13. Which is better AVR or surge protector?
An Automatic Voltage Regulator (AVR) and a surge protector serve different purposes. An AVR is designed to regulate and stabilize the incoming voltage, ensuring a consistent power supply to connected devices. It helps protect against both high and low voltage fluctuations. On the other hand, a surge protector is primarily focused on diverting excess voltage caused by power surges, safeguarding connected devices from damage. The choice between an AVR and a surge protector depends on your specific needs, considering factors such as the stability of your electrical supply and the prevalence of power surges in your area.
14. Which is better AVR or UPS?
A UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) offers both surge protection and battery backup capabilities. It provides a continuous power supply to connected devices during outages, allowing you to safely shut them down and avoid data loss or damage. A surge protector, on the other hand, focuses solely on surge protection by diverting excess voltage. The choice between a UPS and a surge protector depends on your requirements for an uninterrupted power supply and the level of protection needed for your devices.
15. Which is better surge protector or stabilizer?A surge protector primarily focuses on protecting against power surges by diverting excess voltage. A stabilizer, on the other hand, is designed to regulate and stabilize the incoming voltage, ensuring a consistent power supply to connected devices. Stabilizers can help protect against both high and low voltage fluctuations, which can be beneficial in areas with inconsistent power supply. The choice between a surge protector and a stabilizer depends on your specific needs, considering factors such as the stability of your electrical supply and the prevalence of power surges in your area.
In conclusion, investing in the best outdoor surge protectors is crucial for safeguarding your outdoor electrical devices from the unpredictable weather, climate, and other external hazards. These specialized surge protectors are designed to combat the unique challenges posed by outdoor environments. They provide reliable protection against power surges that can occur due to lightning strikes, power fluctuations, or faulty wiring, ensuring the safety and longevity of your equipment.
With weatherproof enclosures and corrosion-resistant materials, outdoor surge protectors are built to withstand harsh weather conditions and climate variations. By using them, you mitigate the risks associated with the outer hazards that outdoor environments present. Moreover, these surge protectors offer comprehensive protection, preventing damage to your outdoor lighting systems, irrigation controllers, security cameras, and other appliances.
By incorporating outdoor-specific features, such as grounding capabilities and voltage regulation, they enhance the performance and reliability of your outdoor devices. So, prioritize the safety and resilience of your outdoor equipment by selecting the best outdoor surge protector tailored to your specific needs, and rest assured that your devices are shielded against weather, climate, and other outer hazards.